Sunday, July 6, 2008

Fourth of July






The Jason & Rachel Short family did our best to celebrate our Independence in an All-American way, so we made a check list:

*cheesy local parade

*rodeo

*mechanical bullride

*greasy food

*must wear red, white and/or blue

*BBQ

*illegal fireworks

*friends and family

*and maybe a meltdown or two.


In an effort to check everything off our list we started the day off by hitting the Downtown Hillsboro Parade. The kids got plenty o' candy and we heard a few good marching bands. After that we jetted down to good 'ol St. Paul for the ever so famous St. Paul Rodeo where we met up with good friends, the Jensens and Adam & Diana Heder (on their way to Seattle for his next internship). It was the kids first rodeo and I think they liked it. If not they certainly enjoyed the greasy curly fries and elephant ears and the mechanical bullride. We headed back to Banks after that and put together a quick (but delicious) BBQ with Adam & Diana and as it started getting dark we headed out to the country where some friends put on our very own private fireworks show with a few they bought on a reservation in Washington.

I think we checked everything off our list...oh yeah...the meltdowns...After we lost Max three times at the rodeo we insisted that he hold our hand the rest of the time and he was less than joyful about that and at 11:00 pm when we were still watching fireworks, Jaykob became very insistent that he was ready to go home no matter how great the fireworks were. But all in all that wasn't too bad and we succeeded in having a full on All-American Independence Day...GOD BLESS AMERICA!

7 comments:

megadog said...

Sounds like a fun day. The kids look so cute. Little Clarita is a real doll.

Sarah Heder said...

It seems no big day like a 4th of July is complete with out at least one meltdown from one kid or two. Cute pictures of the kids. I am impressed that you accomplished everything and that you managed to get all your kids in 4th of July clothes. Where were you in all the pictures?

kathie said...

sounds like you and your little family are having a fun life!! thanks for including me so i can feel like i can share a bit of it. kiss the kids for me, especially clara's "chunky cheeks". haha.

Caroli said...

Hi Rachel,

You have a beautiful family.
Clara is such a cute!
I´m not sure if it´s a "only for friends" blog or if you want to other peole... Anyway, I wanted to say I liked it!

Jennifer said...

Rache, I am so excited about your blog! It is darling and I love the title! As fate would have it, I just started my own blog a few weeks ago, and I've been meaning to email you about it. I'm kind of bummed that you beat me to the punch, but what else is new?=) You can check it out at ginnysee.blogspot.com. Your blog is great and I love reading it, b/c its like getting to talk to you. And we are counting down the days until our trip! We have so much to catch up...can't wait!

Diana said...

We had so much fun!!! B:ut where are the pics of the mechanical bull riding!! That's what people want to see! Max was so cute!

Jennifer said...

Rache, your photos are so cute. Wish I had your photog skills! Looks like you had a fun 4th. I am counting the days until our trip--its been way too long! I'm so glad you started this blog so we can hang out virtually!