Friday, June 12, 2009

Playing catch up

Where have I been the last two months? Apparently not at my computer. Actually, I have been at my computer for more mundane reasons, like bill pay, counting calories, checking my email. And it is for those reasons that my daily alloted computer time seems to run out before I get to the fun stuff, like blogging. But, summer is upon us, which means kids are out of school, which means I will be fervently searching for more short, peaceful like retreats on a daily basis as a means to escape the chaos, which means I will be locking myself in my computer room a lot more often, which means I will probably be blogging a little bit more from here on out.
But as far as playing catch up goes, here is a list of highlights from the last two months...

1. Easter
A pleasant morning of Easter basket finding and a yummy breakfast before church and a lovely dinner after church with family joining us...

Easter morning baskets full of surprises...





2. Been doing a little running...oh wait is that a 4th place ribbon I'm holding?

Why, yes it is. Some friends and I participated in a 10 mile run back in April and believe it or not I took 4th in my age bracket. Okay, so maybe it's not that unbelievable since there were only 5 people in my age group. Laugh you may, but I still ran 10 miles.



3. I had a great Mother's Day weekend. It started with a fun evening out with my children, Mary & Jaykob. We visited a traveling Titanic museum and ate sushi.


The next day I headed to the coast with some girlfriends for some good shopping, good food and good laughs. I must thank my parents, my in laws and my husband for making that weekend possible. When you think about it, it takes a lot of preparations just so the mom can get away for one night...kind of makes me feel important...a great feeling to have on mother's day weekend.

4. We had a fabulous stake conference in which one of the 12 Apostles, M. Russell Ballard, came and spoke with us. As wonderful as it was to listen to this incredible man, it was a relief to get out of that very hot and stuffy stake center on that 90 degree day. With the spirit of this meeting in our minds and in our hearts, we decided to continue our worship at one of Heavenly Father's most wonderful creations...the beach!






5. Memorial Day weekend means camping, right? Well in Oregon it might mean the campground that you reserved several months earlier might have 4 ft of snow come Memorial Day weekend! So what to do? Cross your fingers that this other campground that your friends found will be halfway decent since it was the only one available at such short notice.

Well crossing the fingers worked because the campground was perfect and so was the weather! We had a great time hanging with friends, going for a boat ride, eating yummy food and going on a fabulous bike ride with Grandma & Grandpa Heder. Jaykob did end the weekend with a horrible case of empitigo (spelling?) which kept him home from school for a week, but other than that, we had a splendid time.






6. In addition to a little camping, a little running and a little beach hopping, I also read a great book called "The Red Scarf Girl" by Ji-Li Jiang. I highly reccommend it.

7 comments:

Jason Short said...

Wow. Great article.

Sarah Heder said...

Ha! Jason is so funny!

I think I'm in the same boat as you, Rachel. I haven't updated my blog in almost a month. I don't know why. We're super busy and very social, just haven't updated. Oh well. I'll figure something out soon. It is fun to see what you guys have been up to the past littl while. And, it's even more fun (I think I keep saying this) because we'll get to see you guys in person and reconnect very soon in LA!

Oh, and I told you that Josie has been learning hip-hop from watching Jaykob on our home famiy videos. Well, now she's doing the splits. I asked her where she learned that from and she said, "My cousin." So, I'm pretty sure she saw a video of Mary doing the splits. I think it's pretty cute and I really am happy Josie will get to know her cousins better when you guys get here.

Leslie said...

Hi Rachel... I'm the wife of Jason Cluff, your Jason's old mission companion. We've been checking out your blog here and there since we got your latest Christmas card! Your kids are just super cute! :) We'd love to reconnect and send you an invite to our blog... send me your email and maybe we can facilitate an email convo between our husbands. ;)

Love the latest pictures! :)

Leslie
leslie@airwired.net

Staci said...

I missed your posts, and am glad you are back to blogging.

We can't wait to share some summer fun with you!

Noelle said...

Nice to see you back on here. And I'm with you.... 10 miles is 10 miles, not matter the ribbon color or the amount of people in the race. Well done!!!

Diana said...

I can't believe you won a ribbon!! THat is so great!! I've never won a ribbon-- that is soooooo great! I am slightly jealous... maybe we'll have to go running when we come up just so I can get my self esteem back. j/k. Really, that's awesome!
Cute pics of kids at the beach, and nice CLEVAGE shot! haha, just had to point out the obvious!
See you soon!

Emily said...

Way to win a ribbon and get your children all dressed so cute for Easter...I know it's a feat in of itself.