Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Pity Party or Oscar Party

I'm wishing that I had my family here last Sunday. It was the Oscars and they are the only other people I know that have seen Slumdog Millionaire. We could have all hooted and hollered for it and I would have handed out prizes for those that made the most correct predictions and I would have made a big dinner for everyone. We could all rip on Sean Penn's speech and question Ben Stiller's wierd presentation. The girls could clean up the saliva on my chin while I watched Hugh Jackman and we could pull out the mop to clean up the brother's saliva after watching Penelope Cruz (or am I mistaking her for Selma Hayak?) We could discuss Reese's interesting hairdo and Jessica Biel's dress choice. I would have slammed Dan and Sarah for seeing "Vicky Christina Barcelona" and everyone else would have ripped on me for seeing "Bolt". And then we could have an exciting debate over the definition of "creamy" vs. "greasy". ( I vote...Mickey Rourke - greasy and Hugh Jackman - creamy...am I right?)
All I'm saying is that it made me really miss you guys. Maybe our next reunions could be centered around the Oscars? Just a thought.

10 comments:

Staci said...

I really loved the Oscars this year - so entertaining! As soon as Hugh Jackman walked out, I thought of you.

Janessa Couch said...

You are too funny. I watch the Oscars for the red carpet and the music. Have never heard of Slumdog Millionaire up until a couple of days ago. I guess I will have to find out more about it.

Sarah Heder said...

Yes, Rachel, it's sad that you live in a place where no one has heard of these movies that were on the Oscars. The past 4 years now, we've had a little Oscar party with our friends and passed out prizes. I would like to say I have won 2 out of the 4 years. I would have ripped on Sean Penn's speech with you too and told you how offended I was by it. I would have explained Ben Stiller's joke to you so you would have laughed too (he was doing an impersonation of Jaoquin Phonix on David Letterman). It was hilarious! I loved Hugh Jackman as the host. I thought he was great. Jessica Biel's dress choice was awful. I would have defended Vicky Cristina Barcelona. It was a good movie. And yes, I would have made fun of you for seeing Bolt, but Dan would have suprisingly defended you. And as far as "creamy" and "greasy", we would have to leave that up to the boys. They know the true meaning.

Noelle said...

Did you see my Oscar party pics (on blog and facebook)? We had so much fun! If you don't get your family out to you next year, you could always come and enjoy it with us.

And.... OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am soooooo in love with Hugh. Is there any other man alive as beautiful as him? And (just as a side note)... I HATE Angie and Brad sitting all smug in the front row. GO JEN!!!

Helen said...

I am so out of all of this, but please include Dad and I if you ever do have an Oscar Party. We would have so much fun being overwhelmed by our kids. We did love Slumdog Millionaire, but none of our friends have seen it either.I think Brad and Angie needed to be in the front row because they are such good role models for young people....(right)!

Diana said...

This was such a nice post! I am definitely down for an Oscar party-reunion next year, especially because we'll be in Pocatello; where I'm sure NO ONE will have heard of any of the oscar movies let alone seen them- so I"ll have to come up. any excuse right?? Maybe we can get the girls together? Let's do it!!

Gabrielle said...

I didn't know what I was missing out on! We were on the plane home from Utah and did not DVR anything! I will have to get on line the check out the dress and I too am guilty of going to Bolt! How dare I support Maile Cyrus!

megadog said...

Hey Rach, if it makes you feel any better we had a whole Primary Party centered around the Oscars. Our bishop dressed in a tux and we gave all the kids awards. Our red carpet outfits were pajamas. Quite fun. I must have been thinking of you and your love of the Oscars!

Angela said...

I LOVE your new blog title picture!!

Megan said...

Hey Rachel, I can't say anything on the Oscars but I know what you mean about just wanting to be with family for those totally "family" only understanding things. But I came across your blog and thought I'd say hi to my running buddy in Banks from 2.5 years ago. Crazy it's been that long. But hi!