Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Happy 1st Birthday Clara!



A year ago today I was sitting in Dr. Stewart's office with the the results of a non-stress test. Clara had flunked it. I had been having problems with my amniotic fluid being too low for almost a month and being put on and off bedrest with the hopes to increase it. It seemed to be doing the trick, but when I went to my appointment on October 1, 2007, Dr. Stewart said that it was too low again and we shouldn't keep waiting anymore for the fluid to go back up but that it would be safer to induce me. He called the hospital right away and arranged for me to come in that afternoon. I called Jason and made babysitting arrangements for the other kids. We checked into St. Vincent's hospital around 12:20 pm. At 12:45 Dr. Stewart broke my water and it came out at 1:15. I was given pitocin at 2:04 and by 3:15 I was having contractions every two minutes. By 4:20 the contractions were coming every minute and I then received my epidural. At 6:15 I was dialated to a 10 and Clara was born at 6:27 pm at 7lbs. and 1 oz.!
The delivery couldn't have gone smoother and she was so healthy despite being my smallest baby.
For her birthday today, we went to the doctor's for her 1 year check up and she is a healthy 21 lbs.! She also got 4 shots (not much of a birthday present) and then we met Jason for sushi afterwards (she played with the chopsticks).
I look in awe at this beautiful little girl everyday and can't believe that our family was the lucky ones that she decided to experience mortality with. (Think of "Raising Arizona" when I say) I love her soooo much!!!
Happy Birthday my darling little girl!

9 comments:

Sarah Heder said...

Rachel, Clara is so adorable! 21 pounds, huh? Tallulah was almost 20 pounds at her last check up, so she's not far from Clara. Happy birthday, Clara! I still think it's funny I was due before you and yet you had your baby first (and that was me even going a week over my due date)!!! She looks so much like Jason and Jaykob to me.

Noelle said...

She is so dang beautiful. I'm so impressed that you can remember the day so well and all the times, etc... I usually can't remember past 5 min. ago. You rock! We miss you guys! Hope all is well and that you are lovin that precious little girl!

Lyon Pride said...

I didn't realize Clara was one already! She is so cute.

Jennifer said...

Not only is Clara darling, I can say from spending two days with her that she is the sweetest, quietest, best natured baby I've ever been around! What a doll. Nothing but big smiles and cuddles from that girl, even from strangers like me. (Rache, your good-natured baby in no way diminishes the insanity you must endure as a mother of four!)

Happy Birthday, cute girl!

Tonya said...

What a lovely little girl. Just like her mommy.

Diana said...

Yeah! Happy birthday to her! I'm glad Madeline has so many cousins to play with!

Diana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diana said...

Yeah! Happy birthday to her! I'm glad Madeline has so many cousins to play with!

megadog said...

She's a beautiful little girl.
I can't believe we haven't met her yet.
Can't wait to do another Oregon visit (next summer) and do the Omsi with you guys.
Love your recipes too.
Love, Jen