Monday, June 28, 2010

Happy 6th Birthday Max!

After a busy week of basketball camp, activity day girl camp and a fun crazy weekend of camping, I neglected to put much thought or planning into Max's birthday. He kept saying how excited he was for his surprise party ( he clearly misunderstood what I meant when he asked me what he could do for his birthday and I said, "it's a surprise"...not realizing that was code for "I have no idea"). Needless to say, I needed to come up with something fast. Soooo...this is how it went down...first off we went to ToysRUs to spend his birthday money and he picked out...you guessed it...a metal detector. Apparently this is the hottest item for 6 year old boys these days...who knew. He is counting on the moment it will lead him to his fortune. He also decided to get a newer fancier marble race to replace the older shabbier one he currently owns.
After he took all of fifteen minutes to make that purchasing decision, it was lunch time at his favorite restaurant...you guessed it again, ...Sushi Town...such a conventional kid, right? So predictable right? I mean sushi and metal detectors...whatever happened to legos and McDonalds?And then it came part for what Max later told me was his least favorite part of the day...his haircut. I know, kind of boring, but he desperately needed one and when they found out it was his birthday, he not only got his cut for free......he got the VIP treatment. Not too shabby, eh? We stopped for a little refreshment of Jamba Juice after that and then off to...




...the Park! I had previously called a handful of Max's closest friends and had them meet us at the park for fountain, sandbox, playground fun and cupcakes!


I haven't had a chance to ask him how he liked his "surprise party" since he slept all the way home and is still sleeping now. For a six year old, I'm going to take that as code for, "mom, I had the greatest time ever!"

Max, I love that mischievous, yet cheerful disposition, that scrawny, but oh so squeezable body, your enthusuasm, your tenacity, your strong will and your ever so charming personality. Max, I love you with all my heart. Happy Birthday kiddo!







5 comments:

Rockelle said...

looks like a fun day...and Rachel even with only 5 minutes you are the best at fun shindigs!
Glad it was beautiful for you. mary's poor sunburn looks so sore!

Sarah Heder said...

We love you too, Max! Great birthday day for so last minute, Rachel. I'm impressed! Can't wait to hang out with you guys in person in August. Max always makes us laugh.

http://elderwolfedr.blogspot.com said...

Happy Birthday buddy! I'm glad you had a great day! You are adorable!

megadog said...

One of the cutest kids around. I think the surprise party sounds delightful. It's so nice at this age because they really don't know the difference. Hooray!

Jennifer said...

This sounds like it was a perfect day! Even better than a pre-planned party, and more fun for you, too. I absolutely, positively adore Max--Derrick and I just watch him and smile every time we see you guys. Sweetest, funniest personality, and I just love that he wanted Sushi for lunch. Metal detector? That kid is smart! (And possibly profitable.)