Monday, March 8, 2010

PURPLE!



So when I was in fifth grade, my friends and I formed a club titled "The Awesome Purple Preps". In order to be in this club, every Friday one must wear their purple Izod sweater, their shrink to fit 501 Levi jeans and their penny loafers (with pennies inserted). What else we did as club members, I'm not sure (although I do think a choreographed Elton John dance was part of the initiation as well as an undying devotion to unicorns and rainbows), I just remember the outfits. Years later, I looked back at pictures and was horrified of the permed hair and the clothes and vowed I would never wear purple again. Did I really think I was awesome? What a silly fifth grader I was. Didn't I know that purple should only be worn by old ladies who think that tea time still exists and that bonnets should still be worn at Easter?





Well that will teach me to never make vows of the unicorn kind or in this case, the never wearing purple again kind. My mom bought me these great shoes for my birthday.


Of course I loved them, but I had to think, "weird...I don't usually go for purple...I wonder why I like these shoes"...apparently, I don't know myself so well. I looked through my closet and found not one, not two, but seven purple tops...I also noticed one purple dress...



So here's the deal...either
A. I'm old
B. the eighties are making a comeback
C. I'm trying to relive my youth or
D. maybe purple wasn't so bad to begin with

I realize there is some reality to all of those options which means I can end this post by saying...Purple is Awesome!!! (I am not inserting the "prep" part into that because I vow that I will never try to pull off that look that John Hughes...RIP...made so famous in the eighties again. No turned up shirt collars for me. No siree! Oops...famous last words, huh?)


10 comments:

Staci said...

You are so funny. I suppose you realize that purple was "the color" last fall. I have always loved the spectrum of pink to purple, and will say so unashamed. I am a little sad at missing all those club meetings, though.

Lisa said...

I love that you took pictures of all your purple stuff. That's great! Purple is such my fave color right now. Can I be in your club? :)

Rockelle said...

I think the club sounded awesome...i love your purple clothes!

Janessa Couch said...

I heard you on the Sunday that you wore your gorgeous purple dress that you were going to form a "Purple Club" with Christina because she was wearing purple also. I guess you want to start up your club again and I will so join you.

Jennifer said...

1) Those shoes are FABULOUS
2) That dress is GORGEOUS
3) If you say it's cool, it is cool. Period.
4) Purple looks striking on you with your light blond hair and pretty skin. I've always thought you looked great in "jewel tones."

And don't feel too bad about your purple club. My sisters and I had "Garfield Club," in which we hailed (as in "Hail Garfield!", Nazi style) a huge Garfield beach towel that my dad stretched over a wooden frame for us. I don't know what else we did in the club, but does it matter? "Hail Garfield!!?" It couldn't get much worse. You were far cooler than you think! :)

Sarah Heder said...

I'll go with option "D". Purple looks great on you and you DO have a lot of purple! That story is hilarious! I love hearing stories like that. And I am IN LOVE with that dress. I was trying to get a closer look at the tag to see where you got it from, but I can't tell --- so where did you get it from? So cute!

megadog said...

I have to tell you I have NO purple in my closet. NO purple shoes. I'm feeling left out. I think I'll go get a few purple items now! You've inspired me. Your are the style mama!

Tonya said...

Purple is awesome!

It was great to see you last night.

Jennifer said...

Rache, I forgot to mention that I love--LOVE--your new profile picture. I laughed out loud when I saw it. June Cleaver's got nothin' on you. (Please tell me that you did that on purpose and I didn't just offend you by laughing at a non-posed snapshot.)

You are so funny and darling. (Gooey word, but it's really true.) I miss you!

Jody said...

Rachel... your cousin/travel agent here :)

Just wanted to say that your blog and family is so cute!

Jody