Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The hunt

I look so forward to Wednesday nights in the summer when, after my kids have gone to bed, I can sit down on my couch, which is situated right next to the AC, watch a new episode of "So You Think You Can Dance" and pull out my pint of Haggen Daz. The question is, which flavor do I pick? Last summer my flavor of choice was Carmelized pear and toasted pecan, but this summer I have seemed to grow weary of the frozen pear chunks. I discovered Creme Brulee at Albertsons a few months ago and fell in love, but anytime I tried to find it anywhere else I was out of luck. I did find creme brulee by Ben & Jerry's, but even though the crystalized sugar swirl was oh so delightful, the flavor was no contest for the Haggen Daz version. I did discover that Safeway carries it every now and then, but after all of that searching I'm not sure I want to settle for something that contains no chocolate. After all, if I'm going to add an extra half hour to my workout everyday just to counteract my ice cream consumption, there better be chocolate! So now the hunt begins...must find perfect balance of smoothness, chocolate, crunch and heavenly bliss.

7 comments:

Staci said...

Hilarious!!! You are the best!

Cynthia said...

You are toooo much!

Emily said...

Ok, I have become a ice cream snob. I only go for the good stuff...Haggen Daz. I am a Dulce Leche or Carmel fan. But pretty much any of their chocolate, carmel, or combination of those flavors makes me happy. Never heard of Creme Brulee as a flavor but sounds oh so good!

Sarah Heder said...

Well, we all know I have the palate of a 3 year old, so I don't think you'd like any of my suggestions. They're very simple and boring to other people. However, I can relate to you loving Wednesday nights! I LOVE Wednesday and Thursday nights so I can watch SYTYCD. One of my favorite shows!!!!

Helen said...

Rachel - It was right here under your nose!!!! Haggen Daz, chocolate, chocolate chip!!!! Very chocolaty indeed - worth an extra 1/2 hour workout, but I really think it is more like an extra hour and a half workout!!!! Enjoy.

Jennifer said...

I am sorry to discount all previous comments, but I experienced nirvana last week when I tried Tillamook Mudslide for the first time. Yes, it's not as fancy-schmancy as Haggen Daz or as trendy as B&J, but I'm telling you, it was smooth, chocolatey, crunchy, and heavenly bliss, which meets all your criteria. C'mon...when it comes to inhaling obscene amounts of fat and calories, have I ever led you wrong before?

Great post, by the way!

Noelle said...

You do know that your grocery store will order special items for you don't you. Just go to the manager and ask that he order in 5 gallons of that ice cream and it will be to you in about a week. Done it a thousand times for different items. Hope this helps with the ice cream consumption! Mine is Bryers Mint Chip.... YUM!