Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Camping and Ode to the Smiths



Jason, Jen & Derrick Smith and I in Victoria B.C. in August 2006


With Jason having started his own law practice in May, we decided to take it easy on the vacations this summer, EXCEPT for our annual camping trip with our dear friends, the Derrick and Jennifer Smith family. Before I continue, it's important that I give you a brief history on how it is that we came to know the Smiths...

It was my freshman year at Ricks College and the first day of my group piano class. I walked in, looking for a place to sit and one of the few seats open was next to a cute blonde girl that looked friendly enough and so I hurried and sat down. We had a couple of minutes before class started and so we exchanged the usual questions, ie. "Where you from?", etc. After a short conversation we discovered we were both from the Northwest and we had both been cheerleaders and we obviously both played the piano. Apparently that was all it took. We were immediately kindred spirits. The next two years consisted of us trading a lot of clothes, breaking many hearts (mostly pre-mission boys, because you know, we were helping them build character), ripping up the dance floor at Retrix, campaigning for student body officer, etc., etc.

Jen and I in Spring of 93...

Our years at Ricks came to an end and we went our seperate ways. We kept in touch for awhile, but then I went on my mission and we lost contact. A few months after my mission I moved to Logan and I was looking through an old address book and came across Jen's parents phone #. I thought I would give it a try. I talked to her sweet mom and she told me that Jen was still at BYU, but was no longer Jen Christensen, but Jen Smith. She gave me Jen's # and I immediately called her. We talked forever and decided on a time that we would get together. So one weekend, Jason and I made the drive to Provo ( this was pre engagement for us) and we met up with Jen and her new husband, Derrick. It was like the good ol days and luckily for us, our husbands hit it off well.
Now I can get back to the camping part of this all. After Jason and I had been married for almost a year, we invited the Smiths to come up from Provo and go camping with us for 4th of July. We had so much fun! We camped in Logan Canyon and the next day we went hiking and then to a car show and then found a great place in the football stadium to watch, what I still believe is the best fireworks show ever. We knew at that point that we would be moving to Michigan at the end of the summer and so the future of our friendship was uncertain. I remember talking with Jen during that trip about how great it would be if we could reunite every summer even after we started our families and have a camping trip as fun as this. Little did we know that our great idea would become a reality a few years later. We kept in touch through the years even though grad school and job moves kept us seperated by miles and in 2003 we both found ourselves back in the Northwest. We decided then and there that we had to start up our camping trips again. We started in 2003 and have been going strong every year since then. With 7 kids between us, all approximately the same age and who get along perfectly, we always have an incredible time and look forward to the next year. We have visited Detroit Lake, Pendelton, Cape Lookout and this year we met at Ensign Ranch in Cle Elum, Washington.
Jen, on account of her immaculate literary skills, can give you a much funnier and realistic view of how this years camping trip went, so check out her "Reality Bites" post at: http://www.ginnysee.blogspot.com/

Regardless, of the sickness and the dirt, we loved it and have been begging for more.





6 comments:

Sarah Heder said...

Pictures AND a video?! You went all out! I loved reading about the history of you and your friend and how you met, not only because those are the best kinds of friendships where you just click in the beginning and things never change . . . but mainly, because you mentioned Retrix! I had forgotten what that dance club was called and boy, did that bring back memories for me! Ha! Looks like it was a fun trip. I even read your friend's blog about the trip. Too bad she was sick . . . and even worse that your kids got sick after the trip. Oh, and I was so impressed by her half-marathon experience. You running the hood to coast or whatever it's called and her 1/2 marathon . . . inspirational to get my butt off the couch!

Janessa Couch said...

Cute blog. I love your header picture! That is gorgeous.

Jennifer said...

Rache--

I have the biggest smile on my face reading this! You've made my week with your "Ode." What a treat to stumble across those pictures and our "history" on your blog! Oh, those photos! I am still laughing out loud right now, looking at them. I should be embarrassed, but I don't care--I love it all!
And we WERE hot, big hair and all. (Mine was worse than yours.) Sweet shiny pantyhose, too. (Sometime we'll have to post about the lengths Mormon gals go to for girl-ask-guy dances!)

I love that we both are sort of good and sort of stink on the piano, and that we both hated our teacher. And only you will ever truly understand just how we rocked Retrix (Derrick still doesn't believe me.) Remember when you finally ditched your lame (Christmas formal?) date and we met at Retrix and then hit three different parties until it was time to go to church the next morning (which, of course, we slept through?) "Partying" by LDS standards, of course, in case any readers are wondering. (I know your dad reads this blog :)

Sorry for the long comment, but I am just drippy right now with happiness and gratitude for our long-lasting friendship. And now, getting to be friends w/Jason and your entire family is just an incredible bonus. I know it sounds mushy, but I really do consider it one of my life's blessings. Who gets to brag about a friend of almost twenty years? And such a fun, cute, COOL friend at that? I'll be your campaign manager any day, Rachel Heder! (my leader)

p.s. she won the election by a landslide, everybody. who could beat Rachel?

Melissa said...

Looks so fun! I love the pic of Clara, what a smile. My kids just keep watching Max's video and are laughing so hard at how darn cute he is!

Élder y Hermana Heder said...

Yes, your dad reads the posts and comments. I'm sure I don't know half (a quarter?) of what went on in Rexburg or Logan or Salem. I'm pretty sure what went on in Japan. Anyway, I'm wondering when you're going to feed that Ethiopian child. Love, Dad

Der Fanatiker said...

I love the pic of the stern Max in his lifevest. Serious and suspicious.